Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Machete "Tablets" at Atlantic Station


The “Dredged Brethren” opening at AurorA, on May 1st went great! Thanks again to Emily and the AurorA staff for sticking around and providing beverages. Also that night, I had a piece in a group exhibition over at Atlantic Station. Check it out.

While studying photography during my senior year of college, I became disinterested in what a traditional photograph should look and feel like. It wasn’t only the final product of the photograph that bothered me, but also the process of making one. Luckily, I had a few mentors who felt the same way, and they, themselves, also pushed through the glass of the simple black frame to produce photographs and mixed-media work with a great sense of presence. That’s what the Machete “Tablets” are about. Using Rothko inspired compositions with the collaged paper, my intent is to have the viewer relax in front of the tablets and let the photo come to them. Rather than moving down a gallery wall, where you know every twenty inches or so, at exactly 60” on center, you’ll find another photo behind glass, in a simple black frame.




No comments:

Post a Comment